Header Ads

Harsh Edges


Sometimes, I think that I’m scaring you away,
that I need to stop showing you how much I feel
because it’s just too much for you to see
that the girl you fell in love with can be so emotional.
I’ve given you the softest parts of me,
but I can feel you shy away when I complain about something,
I can feel you shudder when you see the slightest bit of anger,
sadness, or jealousy in my eyes.
This is the problem with falling in love with me:
Boys have been programmed to fall in love with the soft girl,
the girl who loves hard, the girl who smiles,
the girl who laughs and looks like a fucking diamond when she does,
hair thrown back, eyes gleaming,
but there’s a B-side only a few can seem to appreciate.
My gender determines nothing about my personality
except for how society has taught me my gender should
affect my personality.
I can be the girl who smiles, the girl who laughs
and looks like a fucking diamond when she does,
but I can also be the girl who screams,
the girl who curses and hates, the girl who cries,
the girl who fights back and looks like a fucking warrior when she does,
hair thrown back, eyes burning.
There is more than one side to me because I am a human being.
My love, I need you to be aware of this.
I need you to know this so you can be sure that you’ve
fallen in love with all of me rather than fallen in love with a delusion
because if you love me for my softness yet flinch at my harsh edges,
you do not love me at all.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.